Tuesday, January 18, 2011

It's like movies

The first movies were theatrical performances captured on camera. It took some time for people to recognize that motion pictures were a new art form, with possibilities that were original. Making meals without certain familiar staple ingredients can be like that; the new vegetarian turns to various soy products in an effort to go on having "hot dogs" and "hamburgers" and "spaghetti sauce." And how about a vegan pizza with "cheese"? Eventually one understands that this new cuisine calls for a new set of staple ingredients, and for some newly cultivated tastes, too.

This brings me around to my ongoing search for an acceptable gluten-free egg noodle. What I want is a simple recipe consisting primarily of two ingredients, one of which is egg and the other brown rice flour. Surprise, there is nothing on the market! There is one rather obscure recipe which is shared among gluten-free cooks, which produces a very acceptable egg noodle out of tapioca flour and corn starch. To me this earns A for presentation and about D for nutrition! Last night's attempt to roll out the dough with a rolling pin ended in failure; I made playdough- like earthworms instead. They look gross, taste okay, and with that I am giving up, at least for now. Wanting egg noodles is like wanting a theatrical performance at the multiplex. Time to refocus!

Dumplings made from the same ingredients are more promising. I've been down a few blind alleys with those, so I think I'll pick up where I left off with the better efforts and try to get a dumpling which tastes and looks great and is made from the best- for- you ingredients. I have eliminated raw brown rice - it doesn't work. The best results came from instant (actually 10 minute) brown rice broken down to sand size granules in a blender. The problem with it is that, with the generic store brand that I have, there is no assurance that the product hasn't been contaminated by wheat and therefore, gluten. So I'll just say that if you are anti-gluten for real rather than merely pro- brown rice, you should perhaps take a pass on this recipe.

Update:  This page (click on "show more") states that Uncle Ben's Instant Brown Rice is gluten free.

No comments: